This is the first thing I baked when I reached Singapore two months ago.. There was only butter, flour and some oranges so I decided to make orange butter cake!
As you can see the cake did turn out really nice.. I even poured some orange butter sauce over the top which gives that slight sheen to it but you might want to omit that step if you think the butter cake itself is rich and sweet enough.
For this cake I used the vanilla from the pods itself since I have never tried it before, it really was very aromatic but you guys could just use normal vanilla essence not much of a difference really.
Melting of the butter sugar and orange juice for the orange butter sauce
It tastes quite good on its own!
I added some sultanas to the batter and I wish had added more though! They really were created to be added in butter cakes I feel.
The entire house was perfumed with a buttery orange smell as the cake was baking! One should be blessed to live on the premises where I do my baking! hahaha!
The cake had a perfect rounded top, I poked some holes in the cake while it was in the pan and poured the glaze over it and let it it sit for about half an hour before I served the cake.
It was a breeze to bake, cut and serve and everyone loved it. 🙂
Ingredients for Orange Butter Cake
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk (or alternatively you can add 1 Tbsp vinegar to plain milk and let it sit for a few minutes)
- 1 cup butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 2 Tsp Orange Zest
- 1/2 cup sultanas
Ingredients for Orange Sauce
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tsp Vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease and flour a 10 inch pan.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, 2 cups sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Blend in buttermilk, 1 cup of butter, 2 teaspoons of vanilla, 4 eggs and the orange zest. Beat for 3 minutes at medium speed. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 60 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean. Prick holes in the still warm cake. Slowly pour sauce over cake. Let cake cool before removing from pan.
- To Make Orange Sauce: In a saucepan combine the remaining 3/4 cups sugar, 1/3 cup butter, 2 teaspoons vanilla, and the orange juice. Cook over medium heat, until fully melted and combined, but do not boil.