It’s been a long break from blogging due to my holidays in Singapore in which I was quite unwell but surprisingly had time to bake!
My family and I were going on a trip to Kuala Lumpur for the weekend about two weeks ago and I thought of making a dessert that would last the weekend and be ready to eat once I’m back.. This led to the birth of the tiramisu! This is best kept for two days in the fridge before devouring it completely..
I made it on the Saturday morning that I left (it’s reaaallly easy) and had it for breakfast on Monday morning.. Not an ideal breakfast item but who cares..
It was really rich in flavour and the marriage between the mascarpone cheese and the lady fingers dipped in espresso was utterly divine.. Despite all that, the tiramisu was rather light and didn’t give you that certain feeling you get when you stuff yourself with too much of cheesecake! Not that I would know what that feels like!! (hmmm..)
Anyway, here’s how I did it… The recipe is right at the bottom! These are some pictures I took of the steps..
I bought some lady fingers from cold storage.. and that’s my really trusty but dorky looking measuring scale..
I dipped the lady fingers in coffee.. It has to be a really quick movement of dipping and placing it in as it can get really soft really quickly..
I folded the whipped cream mixture into the mascarpone mixture with a wooden spoon.. and poured half of it atop the soaked ladyfingers then sprinkled some cocoa powder over the top..
And before all of the above, just for presentation’s sake I sliced the lady fingers into two and placed them around the circumference of the pan..
Over the mixture I placed the soaked ladyfingers and just repeated the steps!
Then you just leave it in the fridge for one to two days and you will have the most elegant and delightful dessert in your hands.. It really tastes as good asit looks or maybe even better..but you really would have to leave it in the fridge for a bit to achieve that depth of flavor! Don’t be too impatient and try to sneak a bite!
- 6 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 1/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pound mascarpone cheese ( About 1 average tub you buy at cold storage)
- 1 cup strong brewed coffee, room temperature
- 2 (3 ounce) packages ladyfinger biscuits (Can be found at cold storage)
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together egg yolks and sugar until well blended. Whisk in milk and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils. Boil gently for 1 minute, remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. Cover tightly and chill in refrigerator 1 hour.
- In a medium bowl, beat cream with vanilla until stiff peaks form. Whisk mascarpone into yolk mixture until smooth.
- Fold the mascarpone mixture in the whipped cream mixture.
- Dip the lady fingers in the coffee/espresso
- Arrange half of soaked ladyfingers in bottom of a 7×11 inch dish or a cheesecake pan like I did. Spread half of mascarpone/whipped cream mixture over ladyfingers, then repeat layers and sprinkle with cocoa. Cover and refrigerate for at best about a day.